Thursday, August 22, 2013

Open House

So today was open house. I went to work 4 hours early and got started.  First I made a bulletin board for the hall so at least OUTSIDE the media center would be good.  I haven't made one in YEARS since my last school didn't have walls...  So anyway, this is what I came up with:


Each character's silhouette can be lifted so you can check to see if you were right.  I had printed a pic of each character, cut it out, traced it onto black paper, then cut that out...  I put the printed pic under the black paper and then just stapled the top of the black silhouette so it can be lifted. 

Inside the library, I've made some progress.  These pictures are from this morning, so it looks even better now, but it's still a mess. 


The office is a disaster area.  All the boxes and the books on the books on the shelves are new and need to be processed, but I have no paperwork for them.  The books on the cart all have some issue to fix...  Barcodes to change, no spine labels, etc. 


The circulation desk is a catch-all dumping ground for everyone. 


The reference section is housing discards. We have to wait for Operations to come clear this mess away. 


The tables in the nonfiction section all hold boxes of new books we need to process.  And when I say new I mean books purchased since 2007 and never opened and shelved.  Holy cow!!!


This mess is now actually completely gone.  It was just leftover trash. 


This table in the fiction section is wobbly. The legs need to be tightened. 


We have a couple carts of teacher equipment they haven't come for yet in this area, but then we can till out the carpet and it'll be ready for story time. 


And the easy section...   Again, just some teacher equipment they didn't come for yet and then it's done. 

So...  A lot of progress made, but it still wasn't ready for open house.  Instead, we shut out the lights and closed it up.  Then geographically-challenged me got maps and tried to help people find their classrooms.  I have a lot of people bad directions.  It's hard to describe how to get someplace you've never seen and didn't even know existed...   Lol

It was fun though.  I think I'm going to really enjoy my new school.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment