Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Waiting

I had my interview yesterday and it went really well. She has 2 more today, but they're both with brand new people.  This is the largest elementary school in the county, so she says she would rather have me. I know how to do my job, I collaborate like she wants, I create fun and meaningful lessons, and I can get that library in shape without being as overwhelmed as someone who has to figure it all out from scratch.  

That library is a mess.  There are CASES of brand new books, videos, etc that have never been opened!!!   She opened one and found it had been there since 2003!! Holy cow!! 

The only issue, of course, is that I didn't fill out an intent to leave form last year, as I didn't intend to leave.  I love my current school, the staff, and the students. And I was told by this MC that she was staying on another year. She retired a couple weeks ago out of the blue, however.  So, after her interviews today she is going to meet with my boss at central office and the Superintendent of HR to find out if they will allow me to switch schools. A new person would be better off at a school like my current one. I put a lot of tech in place already. And it's a small school of about 525 students. Plus the media assistant has 20 years of experience to train them up right. So...  Fingers crossed!!  

Yay!  Just had a Duplin Wine delivery!!  Maybe I'll have a reason to crack a bottle open and celebrate later!


Of course, if I do get this position I'll be starting at square 1. Kindergarten classes come weekly for a story time, not lessons.  That simplifies my life a bit...  This school has 5th grade, and mine only goes to 4th. And she doesn't have a SmartBoard or anything in the library...  Yet.  If I get the position, I'll get one the same way I got mine at my current school -- Scholastic Book Fair money!!

With twice as many students, I'll see a lot more classes. I'll have to figure out times. I may just create a list of classrooms and lessons and give myself more time. Some classes may not come every week, so I may need to do a lesson every other week, then a story or review. Centers would be great, too, but it'll take some prep to get them in place. 

Guess there isn't much point in fretting about it yet. I may find out they won't let me leave my current school. Mental note:  if I have to stay because of the form, I'll need to fill one out every year just to be on the safe side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment